Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Number Patterns

I'm subbing 2 days for a grade5/6 class next week. The class is doing number patterns in math and I was looking for something fun to do with fibonacci numbers. Most online activities say the numbers are 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 etc. and they are very common in nature. Go out and find them. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I know a lot of plants like clover have 3 leaves and many flowers have 5 petals but there are a lot of plants out there that don't seem to fit.I think it may be interesting to us some cube links or other blocks to build a pattern. We can use calculators to divide. 5/8 = 0.625 8/13 = etc. Has anybody done anything with these numbers ?

Web Sites
Cyclic Number (gr.5,6)
Calendar Math (gr.2 -6)
Function Machine
Fibonacci Numbers and Nature
Fibonacci in Nature (pictures)
Math is Fun Fibonacci
Number Cracker
Pine Tree number Patterns
Interactive Hundred Square
Shape Pattern Prediction Version 1

No comments:

Post a Comment